It has been argued that Modernist Christianity has been moving in a direction that is no longer only heretical but apostate.
Modernist Christians and many who identify as “spiritual but not religious” do not actually follow or believe in the God of Abraham, the Holy Triune God at all. Rather they believe in a celestial santa of their own invention with no criteria outside of their hopes, presumption or sentiment.
The false god of MTD can be identified with these core beliefs:
- A god exists who created and ordered the world and watches over human life on earth.
- God wants people to be good, nice, and fair to each other, as taught in the Bible and by most world religions.
- The central goal of life is to be happy and to feel good about oneself.
- God does not need to be particularly involved in one’s life except when God is needed to resolve a problem.
- Good people go to heaven when they die.
This god is not compatible with the Christian God.